Churches of Orvieto

On this page the main churches of Orvieto are indicated, but throughout the cliff there are many of different eras (Medieval and Renaissance periods) and style. Some of them are also difficult to see nowadays as they are deconsecrated and almost concealed between the houses and buildings of the historic center. The large presence of places of worship in Orvieto is mainly due to the past of belonging to the Papal States and the consequent frequentation of the city by numerous Popes of history.

Church of San Domenico

Originally a San Dominican monastery, today the church is only partially intact, and there is no trace of the ancient cloister which was probably placed…

Church of S.Maria dei Servi

This modern-looking church is located near the beginning of Corso Cavour, on Via Belisario, along a street that connects Via Roma and Corso Cavour…

Church of San Giovenale

The oldest church in Orvieto, San Giovenale was built in 1004 on the ruins of an ancient Etruscan temple (probably dedicated to Tinia the Etruscan “jupiter”…

Church of Sant Angelo

This beautiful church in the center of Orvieto, was built on the ruins of an ancient temple and in the Middle Ages and had a considerable importance…

The Duomo of Orvieto

A symbol of the city itself, the Duomo is one of the most beautiful in Italy. The construction began in 1290, with the support of both the Catholic Church and the city. The intent was to create one large cathedral for the city…

,

Church of San Lorenzo de’Arari

A typical Romanesque church, which was rebuilt by Franciscans in accordance with the ancient tradition of Orvieto…

Church of San Francesco

For a long time, this large church served as the “cathedral” of the Orvieto, also becoming a stage of important historical events like the canonization of the French King…

Church of Sant’Andrea

Located next to the Town Hall in the beautiful Piazza della Repubblica, this church has undergone significant architectural changes over time, and now has a beautiful facade flanked by a twelve-sided tower…

Church of San Giovanni

Situated in Piazza San Giovanni the church of San Giovanni Evangelista is one the most ancient in Orvieto. It was probably built over the ruins…

Church of Santi Apostoli

The Church of Santi Apostoli is located in the historic center of Orvieto and has become one of the exhibition halls of the Museo MODO…

Church of Sant Agostino

An ancient church in the Gothic style, built 1264 by Augustinian friars on the pre-existing church of Saint Lucia, it still preserves some of the frescoes of the life of St. Augustine…

Abbey of Saint Severo and Martirio

Sitting just below the cliff in the countryside of Orvieto is a majestic Abbey of Saint Severo and Martirio. A twelfth-century monastery that now houses a hotel…

Other churches of Orvieto

Other churches still clearly visible in the city must be mentioned:

Church of San Lodovico, this beautiful church in Piazza Ranieri opposite the former church of Carmine (this is now a theater and event space) is located near a majestic monastery structure and its altar Maggiore is dedicated to S.Ludovico Vescovo.

Church of San Rocco, this small church is located in front of the Palazzo del Popolo and is now unused if not occasionally to host small exhibitions and events. It is one of the three churches that garrisoned the square along with those of San Bernardo and San Leonardo.

Chiesa degli Scalzi, a recently restored Renaissance church located in the beautiful Piazza Ippolito Scalza.

Church of the Madonna del Velo, a cave church dated 1751 and which after various forms of use, has been restored and is now the seat and observatory of the Orvieto environmental archaeological park. In fact, the church is located, curiously “leaning” against the tufaceous cliff and on the stretch of the ring of the cliff.

Church of San Bernardino, this church is located near Piazza Marconi and is “united” to the beautiful Crispo-Marsciano palace.

Church of San Giacomo all’Ospedale, the small church on Piazza Duomo that is no longer used except as a temporary exhibition venue.