Attractions in Orvieto
Information about museums, monuments and other tourist attractions, in and around the city of Orvieto.
Monuments in Orvieto
Section dedicated to the major monuments, churches, museums and other attractions of the city of Orvieto.
Symbol of the city of Orvieto itself, the Duomo is one of the most beautiful in Italy. The start of construction dates back to 1290, the building was strongly supported by both the Catholic Church, and the City. The intent was to create one large cathedral for the city, to replace the battered two churches that existed there before. It should also be noted that the delightful story of the event of the Miracle of Bolsena encouraged the construction of the Duomo.
The Duomo is a magnificent building that brings together different architectural styles. In particular we can define a fine example and balance the of Gothic and Romanesque styles. There were many people who participated in the various phases of design and construction. Among them, Arnolfo di Cambio, and Lorenzo Maitani, with regard to the design (in particular should Maitani for much of the credit of the splendid facade) and a lot of sculptors, goldsmiths and painters as regards the landscaping and finishing. Among the sculptors outstanding figure of Ippolito Scalza (local architect of several works in Orvieto, including the Town Hall), which can be seen inside the Duomo, the statuta della Pietà. Among the painters have had a major role Ugolino di Prete Ilario, Gentile da Fabriano, Beato Angelico and Luca Signorelli's frescoes in particular of the two beautiful chapels of San Brizio, and the Corporale.
Of particular value and beauty are the frescoes by Signorelli in the Cappella di San Brizio, where the artist plays with skill and very engaging choreography, the theme of the Last Judgment, in a striking alternation of apocalypse and redemption.
The cappella del Corporale has frescoes based on scenes from the Bible and sacred representations. Among them stands out the painted panel depicting the "Madonna dei Raccomandati" by Lippo Memmi (dated 1320). The same chapel houses the shrine of the Corporale (admirable work of the goldsmith Ugolino di Vieri) and is exposed to the tabernacle containing the Holy Body of linen stained by the blood of Jesus at the Miracle of Bolsena. The Tabernacle with the sacred linen is carried in procession every year on the Feast of Corpus Domini after a historical procession.
Also inside the Duomo you can admire many other decorative elements of absolute beauty, as the fonte battesimale and the massive pipe organ. However, much of what in the past contributed to inside decor, such as statues, paintings, jewelry, are now kept in museums in Orvieto, and waiting to be exposed according to a plan of restoration and reorganization of the Museum Opera del Duomo Palazzo Soliano. Under this project, the new exhibition area will offer visitors the chance to admire the precious objects that are part of the furniture of the Duomo (including the 12 large statues of the apostles who until 1800 were located at the base of each column of the Duomo), as well as all the ancient papers, sketches and original designs that belong to the Opera del Duomo, and were used to create this magnificent monument.
Click here for the Duomo audio guide.
Pozzo di San Patrizio
Saint Patrick's Well
In 1527 during the "Sack of Rome" the then Pope Clement VII took refuge at Orvieto, he commissioned Antonio da Sangallo the Younger in the construction of the Well to serve as the water supply in case of siege in Orvieto.
The design of Sangallo, who already worked on the fortifications of the city, was inspired by the spiral of the Belvedere in the Vatican, he created an ingenious system of two spiral staircases that never meet. They create a way to get in and out of the Well (about 53 meters deep) without any traffic problems. Today it is a real pleasure to descend to its depths along the more than two hundred steps.
Click here for the Saint Patrick's Well audio guide.
Pozzo della Cava
This is a recently discovered Well located in a residence on Via della Cava. This is an Etruscan Well, dug entirely by hand at a depth of 36 meters (over 118 feet).
The structure consists of two parts merged: the first, largest one, has a circular cross section with an average diameter of 3 meters and 40 centimeters. The second, smaller one, has a rectangular section of 60x80 cm sides and has the typical Etruscan "pedarole," the point marked on the side walls to allow the descent and ascent.
Throughout the year the well is open, and secure during the Christmas period, is now familiar scene of religious-themed performances, a traditional event known as "The Nativity in the Well."
Click here for the Pozzo della Cava audio guide.
Torre del Moro
Torre initially called by the Pope, and later renamed the Moro probably in relation to that of Raphael Santi called "the Moor"(which gave its name to the district and the building beside the tower). The tower stands in the heart of the city in crossroads between Corso Cavour, Via del Duomo and Via della Costituente as a majestic center of the streets.
The tower is open internally and has stairs leading to a spectacular terrace, where you can enjoy a beautiful 360 degree panoramic view of the city.
Adjacent to the tower is also the beautiful Palazzo dei Sette, named in medieval times because it housed the seven judges who represented the major corporations and trades of Orvieto.
Click here for the Torre del Moro audio guide.
Churches of Orvieto
Located beside the Town Hall in the beautiful Piazza della Repubblica, this church has undergone significant architectural changes over time, and now has a beautiful facade flanked by a twelve-sided tower, similar to the tower of La Badia, just off the cliff of Orvieto.
Importantly, in the basement of the church are the remains of ancient Etruscan and Roman buildings. For those interested they can be visited with a guide with previous reservation.
Historically significant, in medieval times, the appointments of cardinals and Pope Martin IV Nicholas IV and Boniface VIII, took place in this church.
Click here for the Sant'Andrea audio guide.
For a long time, this large church has served as the "cathedral" of the city, also becoming the theater of important historical events (see the canonization of the French King by Pope Boniface VIII). The church also has the distinction of having been built around 1227 on the highest point of the cliff. For a long time it was visited by the Franciscan monks who, like the Dominicans, were a constant presence in the city.
Today, this Romanesque church is one of the most fascinating churches to visit in the center of Orvieto, located in the heart of the historic center, just steps from the Duomo and the artisan street.
Click here for the San Francesco audio guide.
Original a San Dominican monastery, today the church is only partially intact, and there is no trace of the ancient cloister, which was probably placed in front of the existing facade. In fact much of the building was demolished during the Fascist period following the construction of a women's academy.
Inside the church, still remains a work of great value, created in 1285 by Arnolfo di Cambio: the funeral monument to Cardinal de Braye, for which they used "pieces" of an ancient Roman sarcophagus.
In front of the Church of San Domenico, there is a small children's playground and a central parking. San Domenico is located in few meters from Piazza del Popolo and the Teatro Mancinelli on Corso Cavour (which can be accessed by Via Felice Cavallotti).
Click here for the San Domenico audio guide.
The oldest church in Orvieto, San Giovenal was built in 1004 on the ruins of an ancient Etruscan temple (probably dedicated to Tinia the Etruscan Jupiter), by the unanimous desire of the rich nobles of the medieval city.
San Giovenale is a Romanesque church whose walls are still partially covered in frescoes. It is located at an edge of the cliff, in the medieval district of Orvieto. This historic downtown area is particularly striking and remains unchanged over time. The interior and the frescoes of the church are certainly one of the works of relevance to Orvieto, and worth a visit.
Click here for the San Giovenale audio guide.
Santa Maria dei Servi
This modern-looking church is located almost at the beginning of Corso Cavour, exactly in Via Belisario, along a street that connects Via Roma and Corso with the eponymous park.
Recent restoration of the facade, the profile and the structure is characterized instead by tufa walls.
The restoration of the facade with its neo-classical style is the work of Vespignani (1857), while the entire complex adjacent to the church, which houses the core of the old convent dates back to 1265.
San Lorenzo de'Arari
A typical Romanesque church, which was rebuilt by the Franciscans in accordance with the ancient tradition of Orvieto he wanted the Romanesque classic like "default style" for the sacred buildings. The first building of the original church is believed around the year one thousand, however, his dating is commonly dated to the year 1291. Freely visited The interior has three naves with classical columns and appears despite the harsh and barren walls of the church were were covered with frescoes which, today, if they can but see only a small part remaining.
An ancient church in the Gothic style, built 1264 by the Augustinian friars on the pre-existing church of Saint Lucia since it still preserves some of the frescoes of the life of St. Augustine, the saint to which it is dedicated, and today visited the beautiful St. Giovenale.
Recently, the church is used as a striking exhibition hall that houses the marble statues of the Apostles: a beautiful complex of sculptures of the Apostles and Saints made between the late sixteenth and early eighteenth centuries, together with the sculptural group of '"Annunciation" by Francesco Mochi (1603-1608) that was part of the "kit" of the Cathedral.
In particular, until the 19th century, each of these big statues depicting the Apostles and Saints stood at the foot of each column inside the cathedral.
Chiesa della Madonna del Velo
Recently renovated this beautiful church sits at the foot of the cliff near the Porta Maggiore, at end of Via della Cava.
San Giovanni Evangelista
Situated in Piazza San Giovanni and has a large cloister that now houses the 'Enoteca Regionale, and the adjacent complex of the Palazzo del Gusto hosts important events such as food and wine event "Orvieto con Gusto", "Orvieto Food Festival" and " Cantine aperte".
The church of St. Louis with its tower and the monastery is located in Piazza de Ranieri exit of the escalator.
Chiesa del Carmine
Along the Loggia dei Mercanti, Piazza de Ranieri that leads to Piazza della Repubblica, is the ancient seat of the Carmelites (1308) and now converted into a room used for exhibitions and shows.
Sitting just below the cliff in the countryside of Orvieto. It is a majestic Abbey of Saint Severo and Martirio, a twelfth-century monastery that now houses a hotel, characterized by the majestic tower dodecagon stylistically similar to the one next to the church of Sant'Andrea.
This is a castle or fortress accessible from Piazza Cahen, which now houses beautiful public gardens.
Originally the fort had a moat and drawbridge ordered by Cardinal Albornoz. Today only a portion of the fortress still stands with the great tower overlooking the ancient port from which a steep path on foot descends to Orvieto Scalo.
From the gardens, which once housed a large amphitheater, used for exhibitions and horse shows, you can enjoy a beautiful view of the valley below, known as the Valley of Orvieto, and a wide view over the green hills surrounding the city and valley of the Paglia river.
Click here for the Albornoz Fortress audio guide.
Palazzo del Popolo
The palace, built around the 14th Century, was home to a very important institutional figure of the city during the Middle Ages: The Capitano del Popolo (Captain of the People).
This was a very popular figure in Italy and in other towns; he had an important role in representing the people. Later the building was also home to another important figure in the history of Orvieto: the mayor.
The palace today is a beautiful building, which has undergone changes and upgrades in recent years. Today the building also houses a fully equipped conference center.
Click here for the Palazzo del Popolo audio guide.
Located in Piazza della Repubblica, adjacent to the church of St. Andrew, the handsome headquarters building of the Municipality of Orvieto is originally an old building (probably its origins date back to the twelfth century) and has been, over time, several times enlarged and restored; the last intervention, in order of time, dates back to 1600, at the hands of Scalza. E 'in this period, which after being passed from hand to noble families and the local church, returns to perform the duties of that office and the original directive and again occupied by the city to this day (although most of the offices were transferred to the building of the former infirmary barracks Piave). The Town Hall is well proportioned and elegant appearance and has the base of the arches that support a fine row of balconies.
Other Palaces in Orvieto
Here are some of the most beautiful and famous Renaissance palaces in the city of Orvieto. In addition to the medieval Palazzo del Popolo, Palazzo Comunale there are many other historic buildings from the Renaissance period belonged to the local noble families (who often gave there name to the palaces). Among the best preserved and most beautiful palaces of the Renaissance:
One of the buildings designed by the Orvieto architect Scalza, was built around 1580 and is located on the road that connects Piazza Marconi to Piazza Duomo.
A fine show in the great Piazza della Repubblica, today the historic headquarters of a local bank. At one time it housed Locanda delle Belle Arti, and Garibaldi stayed there once. It has high quality interiors and wooden coffered ceilings.
Palazzo Crispo Marsciano
Overlooking Piazza Marconi, designed by Antonio da Sangallo, this palace has an imposing facade and is adjacent to the church of San Bernardino.
Started by Scalza in 1567, but was left unfinished until 1937, when Gustavo Giovannoni completed it. Today is AEDE of the grammar school of Orvieto.
Palazzo dell'Opera del Duomo
Built by Vespignani this palace has undergone numerous interventions and improvements. It has long hosted the administrative offices and been the active site for the construction of the Cathedral and had a role in museum exhibition of all the old papers related to the work of Duomo.
Located in the beautiful Piazza del Popolo, it is from the 16th century and was renovated by Simoncelli. Today still visible on the facade is the old original large mullioned windows. The inside was remodeled in the 18th and 19th centuries by the noble family of Ravizza.
In the corner opposite the Torre del Moro, this property of the ancient family Gualterio was an initial draft of Sangallo then modified by Simone Moscow. It was decorated with stucco and frescoes in its beautiful interior rooms.
Located opposite the beautiful church of San Francesco is currently the seat of the foundation Cassa di Risparmio di Orvieto.
Located in Via Malabranca, built by Scalza on commission from Monsignor Carvajal, Bishop of Soana 1535-1596. The palace was built over the existing buildings that belonged to the Filippeschi. The building is covered with basalt to the first floor under the windows and the door 'entry in Spanish "Carvajal Carvajal des comodidad por sus amigos de padron" (the owner announces that he built the palace for the convenience of his friends).
Located near the church of San Francesco, this palace belonged to another great noble family of Orvieto, Monaldeschi. Simone Mosca Scalza participated in the building. It has exquisitely frescoed ceilings by Cesare Nebbia. For several years it was the seat of the Art Institute in Orvieto.
Etruscan & Roman Monuments
Etruscan Necropolis "Crocifisso del Tufo"
The necropoli del "Crocifisso del Tufo" , along with the remains of the Temple of Belvedere, is one of the witnesses, visible to this day, of the Etruscan civilization, that for centuries inhabited Orvieto. It is located just below the tufa cliff and emerges as several Etruscan tombs from the characteristic rectangular shape.
Each grave can still be read as belonging to an Etruscan family. All objects and vessels found in this necropolis and in that of Cannicella are displayed in museums of the city of Orvieto.
Click here for the Etruscan Monuments audio guide.
Etruscan Temple "Tempio del Belvedere"
This site is located near the entrance of the city of Orvieto, in the vicinity of Saint Patrick's Well and just before Piazza Cahen. In a shady area full of greenery with a pleasant walk that follows the perimeter of the cliff, are the remains of an ancient Etruscan temple where you can see the stairway and some parts of the foundation and columns. The rest of the temple, probably built with wooden parts, has been lost in time. The temple was probably built to honor Tinia, the Jupiter of the Etruscans.
The excavation area called "Campo della Fiera" where excavations are still in progress which, by now according to a collective opinion of historians and experts are bringing to light the remains of the famous "Fanum Voltumnae" Etruscan, which is the sanctuary of Vertumna, the most important site and federal sanctuary of the whole of 'ancient league of the twelve Etruscan cities, a real landmark and meeting place for all the major players in these cities.
Today it can be argued that the site is of inestimable value and importance. It has already brought to light interesting findings, such as Greek pottery, coins, jewelry, ornaments and decorations of buildings. In particular, a long inscription has revealed the name of the Etruscan sanctuary: the "heavenly place" which critics identified with the famous archaeological Fanum Voltumnae. With the last campaign of excavation the remains of another temple were discovered (the fourth of the whole area). This discovery adds to what has been already brought to light by excavations, namely: an ancient road 9 m wide (dating back to the 6th century BC), the remains of ancient Roman baths, another stretch of road from medieval times and the foundation and front wall of the medieval church of San Pietro in Vetere is now fully visible (35 meters x 7 meters) with its mosaics. In particular, this church is of considerable importance because it is the only existing in this area, at the point where the meeting took place between the relic of the Holy Corporal of the Eucharistic Miracle of Bolsena (conducted in Orvieto) and Pope Urban IV.
Porto Romano di Pagliano
Among the most important attractions just outside the city of Orvieto is the remians of the Roman Port of Pagliano. With a guided tour you can see the original docks and storage areas and storage of goods, the Ponte Giulio (rebuilt by Julius II) on the previous structure of Roman origin, the exhibits at the Roman kiln Scoppieto, and finally the remains of the Roman bridge called the "Colonnacce" near the Paglia river that connected the old stretch from Rome to Chiusi.
Museums in Orvieto
Museums, exhibitions and art galleries, in and around the city of Orvieto.
Museo Archeologico Nazionale
(National Archaeological Museum)
The museum offers an exhibition of Etruscan pieces discovered during the recent researches around Orvieto. Many are the pieces found in the northern section of the Crocifisso del Tufo Necropolis. Funeral elements and objects, such as Bucchero, the ancient Etruscan black pottery.
In one of the rooms there are many objects that were recovered during the Porano necropolis digging, one of the smaller boroughs that were located around Orvieto. The tumbs are of high quality and some have wall paintings, a rare element at least in the Northern inland Etruscan area. In a close environment is shown the reconstruction of the two Golini tumbs, discovered at the end of the Nineteenth Century. For obvious reasons, the paintings of the two tumbs have been moved to a safer room, in order to better preserve them.
Musei Archeologici Civico e Faina
(Civic Archaeological Museum)
This museum shows the most meaningful Etruscan objects found in the Orvieto district. The museum begins with an amazing coin room, then follows to the Chiusi vases and the attic style vases with black and red figures. Amongst all of the objects in this room, are noticeable three unique amphors, built by Exekias, the best pottery attic designer for the black figures technique.
On the second floor, many objects are placed in a chronological order: prehistoric and protostoric materials are placed before the bucchero section. Then other secions follow: red and black attic pieces, Etruscan bronzes. Three sections are dedicated to the Etruscan ceramic art. A marble torsoe ends the itinerary. The second floor also has a wonderful gallery that offers a spectacular view of the Duomo of Orvieto.
The Civic Museum is located on the ground floor, which is composed of three big areas, in order to collect the antiquities collected during the Nineteenth Century thanks to the town hall of Orvieto. Among them the Venere di Cannicella (Venus), the warrior head-shaped Cippo, and the Belvedere Temple front decoration.
(Museum of Modern Art)
In this museum are works in bronze by sculptor Emilio Greco to whom we owe the creation of the bronze doors of the cathedral.
Click here for the Palazzo Soliano audio guide.
Museo dell'Opera del Duomo
Palazzo Soliano ( 2° floor)
Site of the Opera del Duomo (the administrative site is located in Palazzo Vespignani, picture). The exhibit of the Opera del Duomo Museum is located at the second floor of Palazzo Soliano.
The Museum displays documents and papers about the many fases of the Duomo projecting and building.
The Opera del Duomo Museum Network - MODO is based on one of the most important artistic elements in the World: the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta (Duomo), which has in itself the Cappella Nova or of San Brizio (chapel), a place of incredible value and charm. MODO has many other places that are worth a visit, such as Piazza del Duomo, San Giovenale and SantAgostino Church. The Fabbriceria (organization) has been preserving any single object, document, picture, for longer than eight centuries.
Guided tour of the underground Orvieto. A wonderful experience to see the city's underground remains of an old mill, the throw, the dovecotes. A plunge into the heart of the antiquity to know the city from its origins.
Click here for the Orvieto Underground audio guide.
Museo delle Maioliche Medievali e Rinascimentali Orvietane
(Medieval ceramics and pottery of Orvieto)
Exhibition of Renaissance majolica and the medieval city of Orvieto, with a rich display of pieces and an old furnace still visible. A witness to the rich past of Orvieto and the great tradition in ceramics, something which is quite widespread throughout the Umbria region (think of the Deruta pottery).
Of these ancient models today, many laboratories and ceramists of the city today will recreate copies and models faithful keeping alive the great artistic tradition of Orvieto in the processing of this material ornament and daily use.
Carta Orvieto Unica
This card is sold at several outlets throughout the city (Train Station Bar, Tourist information offices).
The card allows for a single purchase access to the following attractions in the city of Orvieto:
Chapel of San Brizio (Duomo)
Faina Archaeological Museum and the Civic
Torre del Moro
Guided visit to Orvieto Underground
Pozzo della Cava and Pozzo di S.Patrizio
In addition, the card includes: Ticket for the A / R and local minibus.
Castles & Villages
Very interesting are also castles and villages around Orvieto that historically in medieval times, served as defensive outposts and garrisons for Orvieto. In the surrounding countryside you can see many castles, some but not all, are owned by individuals and cannot be visited.
Castello di San Quirico
Nestled in a scenic green countryside of Orvieto, this castle is located near the village of Canonica and the Tione River. It is a private castle of the 13th century with a superb architecture that emerges from the green that surrounds it.
Castello di Tordimonte
Located just a few kilometers from Orvieto, in a small isolated village, this castle has a private elegant tower. It was an ancient parish to the medieval town of Orvieto.
Castello di Corbara
Originally in the Tordimonte parish of Orvieto, today this castle faces in the artificial Corbara Lake, and has undergone recent renovations that have "modernized" the structure.
Castello della Sala
Now home to the farm Antinori, this castle is located just before the village of Ficulle. Built around the 12th Century, with a church that also boasts a beautiful part of the property.
Castello di Madonna Antonia (Castelviscardo)
Located in the village of Castelviscardo, this castle with its large park, occupies a good part of the settlement. It is private, but can be visited by appointment - Admission 8.00 per person - Info: (+39) 0763-361072
Castello di Prodo
A large castle located in the village of Prodo, admirable for its elegant structure, which dominates the countryside. Built in 1300, and restored in 1600, this castle was a refuge for Giuseppe Garibaldi, who united Italy in 1861. This castle is private, and not open to the public.
Castello di Parrano
A castle characterized by its massive defensive fortifications of ancient origin, it belonged to noble families such as Filippeschi and Monaldeschi, but ended up in the membership of the Papal States.
Castello di Montalfina
Located on the border between Umbria and Lazio, this castle was built in the 12th Century, and inhabited by the descendants of Monaldeschi and the Sforza. From the latter it was restructured in 1600. The castle is now privately owned.
Castello di Torre Alfina
The beautiful castle overlooking the town of Torre Alfina in Lazio, has ancient origins, and has often been the subject of restoration. Probably built in the 13th Century, it belonged to the family of Monaldeschi (a branch of Cervara). In 1800 the property passed to the wealthy banker E. Cahen (the same man who built the beautiful art nouveau villa in the forests of the Selva di Meana, and whose grave Mausoleum can be visited today in a garden in the woods of Sasseto). This castle is an elegant structure with slender towers, frescoed interiors and beautiful gardens.
Located near the village of Porano, this is an ancient castle with plenty of space, now used for events that take place in its large courtyard. The castle is now private.
Parks & Outdoor Spaces
This section provides information on parks and green areas in Orvieto and surrounding areas. Ideal locations for relaxing walks in the countryside, and outdoor picnics.
Anello della Rupe
A 5 km walk, this a path runs along the perimeter of Orvieto, with fabulous scenic areas and interesting archaeological stops. Along the route there are attractions and curiosities such as the Chiesa del Crocifisso del Tufo, and Grotta della Fungaia containing fossils of prehistoric trees.
Click here for detailed directions of the path.
This fortress is accessible from Piazza Cahen, which now houses beautiful public gardens. The gardens, which once housed a large amphitheater, used for exhibitions and horse shows, has a beautiful view of the valley below, known as the Valley of Orvieto, and a wide view over the green hills surrounding the city and valley of the Paglia river.
Parco Urbano del Fiume Paglia
This park is located near the railway station of Orvieto, close to the large parking lot behind the station. It is a green area with a small pond (where you can fish), and has a circular path with a bridge linking to the area near Ciconia. For those who enjoy relaxing walks, from here you can also travel along the dirt road that runs parallel to the Paglia River.
Parco dei Sette Frati (Monte Peglia)
About 18 km from Orvieto, reached along the main road to Todi Strada Statale, following the signs for Colonnetta di Prodo. The park is in the territory of Mounte Peglia (830 meters above sea level), and occupies a large area of forest. Much of the park is equipped with easily accessible trails. The park houses a large variety of flora and fauna. Moreover, in this area (San Venanzo) you can also follow the "Sentiero Vulcanologico" and make a stop at the small Museo Vulcanologico of San Venanzo.
Parco di Villalba
20 km from Orvieto, this park can be reached by heading towards Allerona. The park is very well equipped for hiking and picnicking, and is about 650 meters above sea level, covering a wide area of forest. A short distance from the park, on the side of the selva di Meana, is the beautiful art nouveau villa Cahen garden, with a rich and diverse variety of plant species. From Villalba continuing a few minutes to Trevinano and San Casciano dei Bagni, you can reach the spa town where there are also outdoor public pools.
Parco Fluviale del Tevere e Lago di Corbara
This park is located near the Corbara Lage, between Todi and Orvieto, follow the perimeter of the lake. At the local sports center, Gole del Forello, you can take boat trips on the lake and up the Tiber river, winding through the loops of Forello Gorge.
Near Corbara Lake are areas suitable for canoeing, including Fosso Campione and Forra di Prodo. For more information: www.umbriaoutdoor.it. This area also has sites for caving, Grotta della Piana, in the area of Titignano where ceramic artifacts from the Neolithic times were found.
Oasi di Alviano
Just 25 km from Orvieto, this oasis is managed by the WWF, has a vast marsh area obtained by the damming of the Tiber river. This created a protected area where you can see from observation points, over 150 species of birds.
Riserva di Monte Rufeno
About 40 minutes from Orvieto, this reserve is located on the border between Umbria, Lazio and Tuscany. Follow the direction towards Acquapendente-Monte Amiata. The large surface area and the many trails make this a perfect place for hiking and trekking.
Forra di Prodo e Tane del Diavolo di ParranoFor those who love rafting, canyoning or diving, in crystal clear waters, this spot is not far from Orvieto. The Thermal Park and Tane del Diavolo Parrano, is a subterranean complex characterized by narrow canyons and gorges traversed by clear spring water.
For more information contact:
Associazione Upupa - Tel (+39) 335-941403 or (+39) 338-9613079 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Events & Festivals
Main events and traditional festivals in Orvieto.
Festa della Palombella - May/June
This traditional festival of Orvieto takes place on Ascension Day. A dove along a route in the air lands in a special canopy at the entrance of the Duomo. The dove represents the descent of the Holy Spirit to earth. During the celebration, the beautiful Piazza del Duomo is filled with people celebrating this Catholic feast.
Orvieto con Gusto - September/October
A food and wine event sponsored by Slow Food, where you can sample dishes and wines of the area, according to the Italian philosophy of enjoying good food and drink.
There are food stands in the palazzos Orvieto, and for conferences and events such as the Cloister of San Giovanni and the Palazzo del Gusto, which are easily accessible by elevators and escalators linked to the large parking area of the Forum Boario.
Umbria Jazz winter - Christmas to New Years
A historic event for jazz lovers, this series of concerts in historic buildings last for one week. The city is populated by musician and music fans. Concerts and bands play throughout the period, with a special gospel concert in the Duomo.
For more information visit: www.umbriajazz.com
Presepe nel Pozzo - Christmas/New Years
A traditional event in the charming Pozzo della Cava, with an artistic construction of the nativity scene. This beautiful natural environment enhances the solemnity and the beauty of this sacred representations.
Cronoscalata della Castellana (Ciconia-Orvieto) - May 6-8
A race of classic and modern cars, valid for the Italian league and CSAI cup. For more information visit: www.lacastellanaorvieto.it
Events Around Orvieto
Misteri di Santa Cristina (Bolsena) - End of July
An outdoor exhibition with constructed representations of scenes from the martyrdom of the saint.
Trasporto della Macchina di Santa Rosa (Viterbo) - September 3
A historic and religious event, honoring one of the famous saint protectors in the city of the Popes.
Ovo Pinto (Civitella del lago) - Easter
An interesting event which displays painted Easter eggs, near Corbara Lake.
I Pugnaloni (Acquapendente) - May/June
An exhibition and representation of Pugnaloni, all of the images are mosaics made from flowers and plants.
Torre Alfina Blues Festival summer (Torre Alfina) - End of July
A musical event in the picturesque medieval town of Torre Alfina, about 20 minutes from Orvieto.